The Hungry Hippo Smoothie is inspired by a smoothie of the same name made by Campus Fresh, the cafe at GW’s gym. Campus Fresh makes the best smoothies, but I’m home for the summer so I have to recreate their smoothies until school is back in session.
The Hungry Hippo is a satisfying combo of banana, peanut butter and chocolate flavors. It’s great for breakfast or after a workout!
When I make smoothies, I typically don’t follow a recipe. But because I can’t be with you in your kitchen to help you make this smoothie, I concocted a recipe after several attempts and consecutive mornings of having this beverage for breakfast. Please note that all measurements are approximate and you can easily tailor the smoothie to your liking. You can always downplay the bananas and add in more peanut butter if you can’t get enough of the spread. Or you can add in more milk for a milder flavor. Smoothies are really easy to customize, so use my recipe as a general guideline instead of as an exact dictation of what you have to do.
Hungry Hippo Smoothie
Level: Easy Peasy
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Makes one large (18 oz.) serving or two small (9 oz.) servings
- 1 large banana (or 2 small bananas)
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon Nutella
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- A drizzle of honey to taste
1. Slice the banana into chunks and toss into blender.
2. Put the rest of the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
3. Pour into your favorite glass and serve!
- Add protein powder to stay full longer.
- You can use a frozen banana if you prefer – just make sure to peel it before putting it in the freezer.